Orchard Day Nursery is a privately-run Nursery located on Beaconsfield, The Orchard in Huyton.
The owner made the decision to close the Nursery with immediate effect on Friday 17 March 2023.
Knowsley Council understands that the closure follows a dispute over pay involving staff at the Nursery, their trade union (UNISON), and the owner of the Nursery.
The Council was not involved in the dispute at Orchard Day Nursery and only became aware of the closure at the same time as parents and staff at the Nursery. Perhaps if the Council had been asked to get involved – either by the Nursery owner and/or by the trade union – they may have been able to broker some sort of compromise. Sadly, it appears too late for such involvement on our part.
If you need support with finding alternative childcare arrangements, please contact the Family Information Service on (0151)-443 5633 (selecting Option 4) or by email at email@example.com.
Regular updates will also be shared through the Knowsley Early Years Twitter account at @Knowsley_EYS.
However, given that local residents are impacted by the decision, as soon as the Council were aware of the closure we have:-
- Contacted the owner to understand the rationale around the closure and particularly why he gave families no notice of their intention to close
- Shared the contact details for the Family Information Service for parents who need help and support in securing alternative childcare provision
- Identified where there is capacity/places available in the local area
- Contacted employees with regard to other employment opportunities with other childcare providers in the local area
- Shared the details of the Council’s Knowsley Works Team with staff who will provide dedicated support to help them find alternative training or employment – visit or call the team in Halewood (0151 443 2040), Huyton (0151 443 5010) and Kirkby (0151 443 4780)
- Written to local businesses to ask that they provide flexibility to workers who may be affected with the Nursery’s closure
Councillor Graham Morgan, Leader of Knowsley Council, said “Whilst this is a dispute between the privately owned Nursery and their staff and trade union, our residents are impacted and are faced with having no childcare arrangements in place.
“Since we became aware of the situation, our Early Years team have been able to identify where there is capacity in the local area and this information is being shared with parents and carers.
“The Huyton area has some of the best Early Years provision in Knowsley and we are working with those families who are affected to ensure that they can secure alternative local provision.”
Parents or carers affected by the closure of Orchard Day Nursery in #Huyton, should call the Council’s Family Information Service on (0151)-443 5633 or get updates on Twitter at @Knowsley_EYS. Support is available to help you to find alternative childcare.