Home Editor's pick When to use a Walk In Centre

When to use a Walk In Centre

by Laura Johnston

At this time of year there is high demand on NHS services and now a new campaign has launched to help residents know when they should attend a Walk In Centre for treatment.

You should attend a Walk In Centre with:

  • minor burns and scalds
  • eye infections and injuries
  • allergic reactions
  • minor cuts and wounds
  • Muscle or joint injuries (e.g. sprains and strains)

There are three Walk In Centres in Knowsley – Halewood, Huyton and Kirkby. You can find details of Knowlsey’s Walk In Centres here.

If you need same day urgent care, contact NHS 111 online or over the phone (simply call 111) – it’s available 24 hours a day seven days per week. They’ll know the best service for you.

However, if it’s an emergency or a serious injury, please dial 999 or go straight to A&E.

What service should I access when?

Mersey Care has pulled together a range of information and helpful animations on what each NHS service provides and when you should access it. You can find further details here.

The NHS 111 online service also has an online symptom checker. You will be asked a number of questions and depending on the symptoms, you might receive a call back from a nurse.

If your child is unwell, Alder Hey Hospital has an online symptom checker that can be used by parents before heading to the hospital. The online tool has information on some of the most common symptoms in children requiring urgent care and will signpost you to where you can access the most appropriate care.

Cllr Christine Bannon, Cabinet Member for Health, said:

“Our Walk In Centres are a valuable community resource and are open from 8am to 8pm, seven days a week to provide treatment for minor injuries and illnesses.


“They are part of a wider package of healthcare services that are under increasing pressure during the winter months. If you’re in any doubt about which service to access, please visit NHS 111 online.”