This weekend many residents across the borough will be relieved to see hairdressers and barbers re-opening. Some will already have their appointments booked while others may be holding off until they organise their first haircut since lockdown.
However, anyone who is visiting a hair establishment are reminded of the new measures in place to keep both staff and clients safe.
Cllr Shelley Powell, Knowsley’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Neighbourhoods said:
“We have been working with local hairdressing and barber businesses across the borough to help them prepare to reopen safely – so that staff and customers can visit in confidence. However this is going to be a busy time for businesses as they adjust to this new way of working so I encourage the public to co-operate as much as possible in order to stay safe and help limit the spread of the virus.”
Residents are also reminded that recent Government guidelines state that tattoo studios, beauticians, nail bars and spas will remain closed.
What measures hairdressers and barbers must put in place
- The salon/studio must adhere to social distancing guidelines
- Surfaces to be cleaned and sanitised regularly between appointments
- Equipment will be disinfected before and after each client
- Disposable gowns to be worn in between clients
- Doors and windows to be open where possible to allow adequate ventilation
- Social distancing for staff in communal areas
- Staff must be fit and well to attend work. Household members must not have symptoms or be self-isolating
- Staff to wear gloves (if possible but especially for washing hair), masks and disposable aprons. Hands should be washed before and after each client.
- PPE to be replaced in between clients
- Face to face interaction should be minimised. This means consultations should be done over the phone or via the salon mirrors with the barber/haidresser stood behind the client.
- Do not serve refreshments or have magazines in the salon/studio.
What clients need to do
- Arrive promptly to maximise social distancing
- Arrive showered with clean hair – noting this doesn’t mean your hair won’t also be washed at the salon/studio
- Wear your own face covering or wear a face mask provided
- Wash and sanitise hands upon arrival
- Be fit and well and don’t attend an appointment if you or any person in your household is unwell with coronavirus symptoms or is self-isolating.
If anyone needs further advice or has any concerns please Environmental Health on 0151 443 4712 or email firstname.lastname@example.org