Home Latest news Warning around unauthorised fireworks and bonfire displays

Warning around unauthorised fireworks and bonfire displays

by Jonathan Kearney

Organisers of unauthorised fireworks and bonfire displays in Knowsley could face legal action.

By law, members of the public can only use fireworks on private property, such as their back garden. Only licensed professionals can use them in public places.

Anyone wishing to hold fireworks and bonfire displays in a public space must first have the necessary permissions from the Council and notify the emergency services.

It is an offence to set off fireworks in a public place and if convicted of such an offence, it carries a maximum penalty of an unlimited fine and/or six months in prison. You could also get an on-the-spot fine of £90.

In addition, organisers of unauthorised events will be held legally responsible if anything goes wrong and face significant costs for the clean-up operation.

You can find out more about the restrictions on the sale and the use of fireworks here.

Organising public events

The Knowsley Events and Venues Safety Advisory Group is your first point of contact when organising an event. The group is made up of representatives from Knowsley Council’s Environmental Health, Trading Standards, Licensing and Emergency Planning teams, along with Merseyside Police, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service and North West Ambulance Service.

Knowsley Council may take legal measures to ensure unauthorised events do not take place.

You can find out more about organising an event here.

Attending unauthorised events

You should not attend unauthorised fireworks and bonfire displays. The organisers will not have insurance to cover the event, or the necessary health and safety measures in place to ensure the safety of attendees.


In the build up to the Halloween and bonfire period, Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service will be patrolling the borough to remove the build-up of combustible material that could be used for deliberate fires. You can report an unlit bonfire on their website.

In addition, Knowsley Council’s Street Scene Team will be on hand to remove incidents of fly tipping that could be used for anti-social fires. You can report fly tipping online here.

Report criminal and anti-social behaviour

In an emergency always call 999.

To report to Merseyside Police call 101, via the Merseyside Police website or by direct message on Facebook and X @MerPolCC

You can also anonymously tell Police about areas where you feel unsafe because of anti-social behaviour via ‘StreetSafe’.

Or report anonymously to:

Knowsley’s Crime and Communities Team by emailing Safer.Knowsley@knowsley.gov.uk

Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111