Home Knowsley Council Support with Council Tax payments
Council tax information

Support with Council Tax payments

by Gemma Melling

As lockdown measures start to ease, some residents are returning to the workplace, shops are reopening and life is slowly starting to get back some kind of normality.

The council too has been reviewing its services to try and get things back on track and many services have continued to be available throughout the pandemic, such as bin collections and online services, with more starting to be available, including a select and collect service in the borough’s libraries.

It’s really important that residents don’t get into debt and build up arrears due to non-payment of Council Tax. It’s also important that they are reminded that there is a range of the support available if they are unable to make a payment.

How can I view my Council Tax account?

 The easiest way to view and manage your account is via the council’s website. If you are unable to register online, you can call the team on 0151 443 4476 or email local.taxation@knowsley.gov.uk

How can I make a payment?

 There are a number of ways you can make a payment:-

  • Pay online
  • Set up a Direct Debit online
  • Set up a standing order. Our bank account details are: Sort code: 20-51-02Account number: 73951685. Quote your council tax number, including the ‘CT’ prefix.
  • Pay by cash at any shop displaying the Paypoint You will need to have your bill with you
  • Pay by cheque. Send your payment to Council Tax Section, Municipal Buildings, Archway Road, Huyton L36 9YU.

I’m on a reduced income – what support is available to me?

 If you are on a reduced income, did you know that you may be eligible for a Council Tax reduction? A reduced income also could apply if you are claiming Universal Credit. To find out if you’re eligible, visit the council’s website or call the team on 0151 443 4042 and a Benefits Assessor can assist.

I’m strugging to pay my Council Tax – can you help?

Yes, the council can support you in a number of ways if you are struggling to pay your Council Tax. Take the first step and contact the council to tell them that you are struggling. Support includes:

  • Offering you an instalment plan to make your payments more manageable.
  • Offering you a different payment date to tie in when you may receive income or benefit.
  • You can spread the cost over 12 months rather than 10 months, bringing down your monthly amount.
  • We can also arrange an appointment with our money advisor who can offer advice and support tailored to your individual needs. This could include a review of other bills as well as your Council Tax (gas, electricity, water, phone etc). This service is free of charge and could help to identify ways of how to better manage your money. To request an appointment, please email emergencysupport@knowsley.gov.uk or call us on 0151 443 4150.
  • Information about how you can access free and independent financial advice is available on the council’s website.

Cllr Jayne Aston, Cabinet Member for Resources, said: “It’s really important that residents know that there is help and support available if they are struggling to pay their Council Tax. We can’t help if we don’t know, so please take the first step and get in touch with us.

“There are many things we can do to support to ensure you don’t end up with arrears. No-one wants that and there are steps that can be taken to ensure this doesn’t happen.”