On Saturday 23 July Eddie McArdle Playing Fields in Kirkby will host a huge celebration of sport to mark the official end of Knowsley’s Sporting Legends Relay.
From 12 noon to 6pm the whole community is invited to come along and join in the fun on a Super Sports Day. Situated in the shadow of the nearby LFC AXA Training Academy everything from football to boxing, live music to dance will be showcased and people will have chance to have a go at some new sports and maybe spot a few famous faces! Already local boxers John Conteh and Tom Stalker have signed up to join in the fun.
The day will get off to a fabulous start with a community procession into Eddie McArdle playing fields at 12.30pm. The parade will feature an array of local sporting clubs and teams, participants from the Sporting Relay and also more than 100 local dancers.
With ‘It’s a Knock out’ style games and live music there will be plenty of free fun for everyone to enjoy. There will also be two amazing dance performances choreographed by Grace Goulding supported by the iconic Jeanefer Jean-Charles MBE who has previously worked on events such as the London Olympics, world cups and Commonwealth Games.
This huge celebration of sport will top off a fantastic week of free fun for everyone!
Entry to Super Sports Day is FREE and we welcome walk-ups but why not CLICK HERE to book to get event updates straight to your inbox.
SUPER SPORTS DAY FULL PROGRAMME
- The day will get off to a fabulous start with a Parade of Sporting legends, relay participants, Knowsley’s sports clubs and local heroes, led by John Conteh MBE, into Eddie McArdle playing fields at 12.30pm. The parade will feature an array of local sporting clubs and teams, participants from the Sporting Relay and also more than 100 local dancers. The procession starts at 12.50pm from Gate 2 LFC Academy, Arbour Ln, Kirkby, Liverpool L33 7XG – if you would like to take part in the parade or represent your sports club CLICK HERE to register
- Skinny King Young Marching Jazz Band – a New Orleans style marching band bring a mixture of traditional covers by jazz giants including Louis Armstrong and Fats Domino. Performing at 12 45 and 2.05pm.
- At 1.15pm and 3pm, audiences can experience amazing performances from 100 dancers, choreographed by Grace Goulding supported by the iconic Jeanefer Jean-Charles MBE who has previously worked on events such as the London Olympics, world cups and Commonwealth Games.
- 10-piece live band Motown Gold will play hits by music legends such as of Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin and The Jackson 5. Performances at 1.35pm and 4.05pm.
- Boxing Legends including John Conteh, Tom Stalker and Natasha Jonas will take to the ring for a few thrilling bouts throughout the day. Watch John Conteh’s boxing demos at 2.30pm, 3.45pm, and 4.40pm.
- Paramount Pro Wrestling will also be putting on some epic shows with the help of local clubs. This programme is guaranteed to bring high energy and grip your attention. Performances at 12.20pm, 1.30pm, 3.15pm and 4.05pm.
- Ending the day will be Chic Le Freak, a 6-piece tribute act to the music of Nile Rodgers and Chic, with performances at 3.20pm and 5.15pm. They have worked with soul greats including Chaka Khan, The Jacksons and Gloria Gaynor and will be playing some iconic tracks during Super Sports Day.
Also, throughout the day:
- Children can enjoy the Kids Zone with a whole raft of colourful characters including 3 super cool PE teachers who will lead silly games including slow motion racing and discos throughout the day.
- If that wasn’t enough, the Kids Zone also has a huge play area including barrels of fun, inflatables, circus activities, giant jenga, table football and a whole bunch of other super cool activities! Messy play, bubbles, crafts, you name it, they’re doing it all!
- The whole family can enjoy the family entertainment area – with obstacle courses, gladiator duels, 5 in 1 sports games, basketballs and crazy golf. Whether you’re competitive or just looking for a bit of fun – there’s something here for everyone.
More about the Knowsley Sporting Legends Relay
From 18 July to 23 July, Knowsley will host a week-long celebration of sport as part of its Borough of Culture events programme. Whether its running or cycling, boxing, dance or football that you love, this summer is the time to celebrate!
The Knowsley Sporting Legends Relay will travel the length of the borough with support from local communities, sporting groups, local sportspeople and even the odd famous face popping up. The 6-day showcase event will celebrate Knowsley’s rich and varied sporting heritage, as well as its past, current and future sporting heroes.