Home Safer communities Selling food? You must register
Chocolate cake being iced

Selling food? You must register

by Alison Cornmell

Knowsley Council’s Environmental Health Team is reminding businesses who sell food to register their business.

Whether based at home or in another premises, you must ensure you are registered as a food business with your local environmental health department.

You should do this at least 28 days before you start the business and if you are already trading and have not registered then you must do so as soon as possible. This is a legal requirement and applies to those who want to bake cakes, offer Sunday lunches, afternoon teas, healthy prep meals, or sweet boxes etc.

If you don’t register you could face a fine of up £5,000 and/or up to two years imprisonment. If you are unsure if you should register then please phone 0151 443 4712 or email environmentalhealth@knowsley.gov.uk for further advice.

Registration is free and you do this online by visiting the Food Standards Agency’s website at www.food.gov.uk “Register a Food Business”.