Home Latest news Running a food business from home?
Chocolate cake being iced

Running a food business from home?

by Gemma Melling

As lockdown has continued there are many people looking for ways to earn extra income whilst at home. If you are someone who has started up a food business from your home, then you must ensure you are registered as a food business with your local environmental health department.

You should do this at least 28 days before you start the business and if you are already trading and have not registered then you must do so as soon as possible.

This is a legal requirement and applies to those who want to bake cakes, offer Sunday lunches, afternoon teas, healthy prep meals, or sweet boxes etc.

If you are unsure if you should register then please phone 0151 443 4712 or email environmentalhealth@knowsley.gov.uk for further advice.

Registration is free and you do this online by visiting the Food Standards Agency’s website at www.food.gov.uk and choose “Register a Food Business”.