Last month, we asked residents to share their views on Huyton Village Centre to see if perceptions have changed over the last three years when a similar survey was conducted.
The results will help to shape the Council’s ambitious 10 year development plan to transform Huyton Village Centre which includes a new commercial district, improvements to Derby Road and a new station gateway.
Improvements such as the Shopfront Improvement Programme are already well underway and CCTV has also been installed in the Village Centre following feedback received in the 2018 survey.
The Shopfront Improvement Programme has helped to attract new businesses, jobs and investment, with the Village Centre now boasting a thriving food and drink offer and a growing evening economy.
People had the chance to have their say this time around online and in person at the recent Huyton Live and Artisan and Craft Market events in the Village Centre.
From the 312 respondents surveyed 80% said they have already noticed improvements to the Village Centre, notably due to the enhancements the Shopfront Improvement Scheme has delivered.
The vast majority of respondents agreed that the Village Centre now has a good range of café’s restaurants and pubs, attractive and well-maintained streets and public areas and good access to public transport.
These results highlight the Council has delivered on what people wanted when surveyed in 2018.
Three years’ ago, you said:
- You wanted improvements made to the general environment and attractiveness of Huyton Village Centre.
- You wanted CCTV in the area.
- You wanted a better offer and choice in terms of food / drink outlets.
- You welcomed the introduction of events such as Foodie Friday.
Over the last three years:
- To date, 14 shop fronts have had a contemporary makeover including the installation of new windows, doors, signage and lighting.
- CCTV has been installed in the Village Centre and is monitored 24/7.
- A number of new eateries have opened their doors.
- Events such as Huyton Live have taken place with an action packed events programme being delivered throughout the year. You can read more about the festive events programme, including our Christmas Light switch on events, here.
Of those surveyed this year, the overwhelming majority would like to see an improved retail offer in the Village Centre. A significant number of respondents also wanted to see a safer more attractive environment, more family friendly places to go and more choice of bars and restaurants.
Nearly two thirds of respondents said there are not enough job opportunities in Huyton.
Cllr Tony Brennan, Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Economic Development, said: “People can clearly see the improvements that have already been made to Huyton Village Centre and are pleased to see a growing number of options for dining and socialising.
“We know that people still want to see more improvements in the village, along with a broader retail offer, more things for families to do in their leisure time and a more diverse range of job opportunities.
“These are our priorities and that is why it is so important we deliver on our 10 year development plan. This will attract new businesses and new investment, create more job opportunities for local people, as well as further improving the appearance of the Village Centre.
“We will continue to progress our ambitious plans for Huyton and ensure that residents have lots of opportunities to have their say and share their views as our plans are developed.”