Home Community and neighbourhoods Patterns of abuse by grown-up children: a little-talked about form of domestic abuse
Woman looks out window

Patterns of abuse by grown-up children: a little-talked about form of domestic abuse

by Comms Team

Domestic abuse is defined as any incident of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been intimate partners or family members. Typically, domestic abuse is perpetrated by men against their partner and is referred to as ‘intimate partner violence’. However, there are incidents of adult children or grandchildren abusing their parents/grandparents/carers.

This form of domestic abuse is rarely talked about but is something that happens across the UK and Knowsley is no exception. That’s why it is so important to raise awareness of all forms of domestic abuse, as many people may not think they are experiencing this kind of abuse.

Knowsley Council’s specialist domestic abuse service wants to ensure residents know about the range of domestic abuse behaviours and importantly, wants to remind people that they are not alone.

Cllr Shelley Powell, Knowsley’s Cabinet member for Communities and Neighbourhoods said:

“When we think of domestic abuse, we think of men emotionally and physically hurting their partners. However, this is just one example and abuse of parents or grandparents by their adult children and grandchildren is little talked about but does happen. The feedback we get from parents who are experiencing this kind of abuse is that they feel shame, thinking they’ve done something wrong. They also feel afraid to speak, for fear of being judged as well as worrying about what may happen to their child if they report the abuse. However, we want to assure anyone who is experiencing any form of domestic abuse that specialist help and support is available. While reporting to the police is one option you can also report into other organisations if repercussions for your child are a concern, but you want help.”

Where can I turn for help?

If you are experiencing domestic abuse at the hands of your child or grandchild and are at immediate risk of harm, you should contact the police urgently, call 999. If you not at immediate risk but are concerned, please see the advice below:

Knowsley Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub
Tel: 0151 443 2600

Knowsley Early Help Hub
Freephone helpline on 0800 073 0043 and ask for your information to be passed onto the Early Help Hub and one of our staff will call you back.

The First Step (Specialist Domestic Abuse Service)
Tel: 0151 548 3333
Website: www.thefirststep.org.uk