Smokers in Knowsley are being urged to begin the journey to stop for good on No Smoking Day, on Wednesday 8 March.
Research shows smokers are four times more likely to quit for good with expert advice, support and medication on prescription. Smokers in Knowsley looking to quit can contact the stop smoking service at www.readytostopsmoking.org.uk or by calling 0151 426 7462 or 0800 3247111. You can also visit your local pharmacy.
Suggested steps for preparing to quit include:
1. Contact Knowsley’s stop smoking service
2. Set a quit date
3. Tell family and friends you plan to quit to gain their support and help
4. Anticipate and plan for challenges while quitting
• Think about how you may feel when you first quit but remember that this is temporary, no matter how powerful it feels at the time.
• Know your smoking triggers (specific people, places, or activities that make you feel like smoking) so you can learn to deal with them.
• Plan ahead and come up with a list of short activities you can do when you get a craving.
5. Remove cigarettes and other tobacco from your home‚ car‚ and work
Cllr Steff O’Keeffe, Cabinet Member for Public Health, Wellbeing and Customer Service:
“Giving up smoking is the single best thing you can do for your health. We understand that many smokers may find it a daunting task which is why you don’t need to go through your quit journey alone. Our stop smoking service is here to help you and you can also join together and quit with friends, family and colleagues to help you in your quit attempt.”