Smokers in Knowsley are being urged to start their journey to give up on No Smoking Day, on Wednesday 14 March.
Research shows smokers are four times more likely to quit for good with expert advice, support and medication on prescription. Smokers in Knowsley looking to quit can contact the stop smoking service on its website or by calling 0151 426 7462 or 0800 3247111 or texting QUIT to 61825. You can also visit your local pharmacy.
Suggested steps for preparing to quit include:
- Contact Knowsley’s stop smoking service
- Discuss your plan and set a quit date
- Tell family and friends you plan to quit to gain their support and help
- Remove cigarettes and other tobacco from your home, car, and work
- Anticipate and plan for challenges while quitting
– Think about how you may feel when you first quit but remember that this is temporary, no matter how powerful it feels at the time
– Know your smoking triggers (specific people, places or activities that make you feel like smoking) so you can learn to deal with them
– Plan ahead and come up with a list of short activities you can do when you get a craving
If you regularly smoke 20 or more cigarettes a day, you are twice as likely to develop kidney cancer compared with a non-smoker.
Cllr Shelley Powell, Cabinet Member for Public Health, Wellbeing and Customer Services, said:
“Giving up smoking is the single best thing you can do for your health. No matter how long you’ve smoked, quitting can reduce your chances of developing cancer, heart and lung disease and other serious smoking related illnesses. Some of the benefits are almost immediate, with improved energy and breathing within a matter of days.
“Many smokers may understandably find it a daunting task, which is why you don’t need to go through your quit journey alone. Our stop smoking service is here to help you and you can also join together and quit with friends, family and colleagues to help you in your quit attempt.
“If you’ve tried and failed in the past – it’s never too late and No Smoking Day is a great opportunity to go for it!”