It was a night of celebration at the annual Knowsley Business Awards on Thursday 23 November.
More than 660 guests attended this year’s ceremony which is the biggest audience to date. The event brought together members of the business community from across Knowsley, the North West and beyond to recognise the hard work and commitment of companies and individuals that are driving forward the economic growth of the area.
Plenty to celebrate
And there certainly was a lot to celebrate. Recent figures demonstrate Knowsley’s ambitious economic growth plans are delivering as an additional 935 businesses have started up since 2014 and approximately 6,000 new jobs have been create during that time.
This has been complemented by Knowsley having the highest rate of productivity growth out of more than 350 authorities across the country – up 140% since 1997. This is the highest economic boost in the whole of the United Kingdom!
Edward Perry, Chair of the Knowsley Place Board was part of this year’s judging panel and welcomed guests to the evening.
“It never ceases to amaze me, year on year, the sheer volume and range of business success stories coming out of Knowsley.
As the Chair of the Place Board, I see the Business Awards as a great opportunity for us to collectively celebrate those successes and recognise the hard work and efforts of all involved. Importantly it is also a chance to make sure that people, inside and outside of Knowsley, know how strong, successful and remarkable the business community is here.
This year’s awards once again reminded me what a great place Knowsley is to do business and makes me very proud to be part of this wonderful business community.”
Cllr Graham Morgan, Knowsley’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Economic Development said:
“The Business Awards are a fantastic way to showcase the amazing talent, dedication and passion that we have here in Knowsley. The council, its private sector partners and the local business community are all working together to accelerate Knowsley’s ambitious growth plans and it is wonderful to acknowledge and celebrate the rewards of all of this work.”
The feedback from winners, highly commended and all of the guests has been extremely positive.
Maurizio Bragagni, CEO Tratos said:
“Everyone at Tratos is delighted and extremely proud to be named Manufacturer of the Year at Knowsley Business Awards 2017. This award is recognition of the recent investment by Tratos in our Knowsley operation and the on-going commitment and achievements of our employees.”
Bob Edwards, CEO Minta Group said:
“We were highly impressed with the organisation and presentation of the Knowsley Business Awards and we were delighted and proud to scoop the award for Exporter of the Year (SME). We export our products all over the world and have been trading in Knowsley for over 42 years. It’s such a boost for the Minta Team to be recognised for our achievements and we were impressed to hear about all the wonderful successes that Knowsley has achieved.”
A total of 15 awards were handed out during the spectacular ‘One night in Bangkok’ ceremony in the Grand Marquee in Knowsley Safari with seven Highly Commended certificates.
Knowsley Business Awards 2017 Winners
- Housing Development of the Year – Countryside Properties (UK) Limited
- Commercial Development of the Year – db symmetry
- Green Award – Green Growth Power Ltd
- Retailer of the Year – Walton Flooring Centre
- SME of the Year – Blends Ltd
- Investment of the Year – Jaguar Land Rover
- Newcomer of the Year – LM6 Commercial Property Ltd
- Transport and Logistics Business of the Year – Sovereign Transport Services Ltd
- Employee of the Year – Mike Matthews, St. Modwen
- Corporate Social Responsibility – Knowsley Community College in partnership with Knowsley Council
- Excellence in Export – Clarke Energy
- Excellence in Export (SME) – Minta Group
- Small Business of the Year – Citrus Electrical Ltd
- Manufacturer of the Year – Tratos UK Ltd
- Manufacturer of the Year (SME) – Olympic Foods
Knowsley Business Awards 2017 Highly Commended
- Retailer of the Year – Rogues and Rascals Barbershops
- SME of the Year – Precision Pneumatics Limited
- Newcomer of the Year – NeedleSmart Limited
- Transport and Logistics Business of the Year – Seacon UK
- Employee of the Year – Aimee Flanagan, Structec (NW) Limited
- Corporate Social Responsibility – Green Growth Power Ltd
- Small Business of the Year – ACR
Once again, all nominations were judged by members of the Knowsley Place Board which includes senior figures from the private and public sector across the North West.
The awards evening is supported through sponsorship and is not possible without the tremendous support of the outstanding and loyal sponsors.
A total of £8,987 was raised on the night through the prize draw and charity auction, along with match funding from Barclaycard. This will be donated to the Mayor of Knowsley’s chosen charities, Willowbrook Hospice and Lyndale Cancer Support.