Knowsley’s multi-million pound street lighting and traffic sign improvement programme is now complete, with every street light, traffic sign, bollard and belisha beacon either updated or completely replaced.
The four-year programme, completed by SSE Contracting on behalf of Knowsley Council, has brought a number of benefits to residents, businesses and visitors alike including:
- The latest energy efficiency technology has been installed
- White light equipment is being used which improves community safety by allowing better visibility and ensures the colour of vehicles and clothing can be seen during hours of darkness
- New remote monitoring technology allows us to detect and respond to faults quickly
- Significant energy savings with a reduction in energy consumption of over three million kWh of electricity – the amount of energy saved over the last four years could have powered Blackpool illuminations for nearly a decade!
Whilst work was underway, the programme was awarded a Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT) and Department for Transport Award, recognising exemplar schemes which have reduced sign clutter on roads in England.
Did you know?
Throughout the four year programme:
- 19,451 street lamp posts and 5,294 traffic signs, bollards and belisha beacons have been replaced or upgraded
- 1,898 signs have been removed and 230 traffic signs and bollards de-illuminated in accordance with the latest Department of Transport guidelines
- 99% of emergency faults have been made safe within one hour of being reported and 99% of non-emergency faults have been responded to within five working days
- 76% of waste has been recycled – the equivalent of almost 3,000 small cars in weight
- Savings to C02 emissions equivalent to that absorbed by 350 acres of new forest, or planting approximately 150,000 new trees