On Saturday 31 October, the Prime Minister announced a national lockdown would be introduced from this Thursday (5 November). This decision comes as a result of increasing numbers of COVID-19 cases and hospital admissions across the country. The lockdown will last for 4 weeks until 2 December.
In summary, the following rules will apply:
- Stay at home wherever possible (exemptions include for work, education, childcare medical appointments, shopping for necessities, visiting someone within your support bubble, to provide care for the vulnerable or to volunteer)
- You are allowed to leave your home to exercise outdoors but only with those within your household or support bubble or with one person only from another household.
- You must not mix with people from other houses (unless they are in your support bubble) anywhere indoors or in private gardens
- If you can work from home, you should
- ALL pubs and restaurants to close (a take-away food service is permitted)
- ALL non-essential shops to close (this includes clothes shops, electronics stores, beauty salons, hairdressers etc)
- ALL leisure and entertainment venues to close (this includes gyms, leisure centres, golf courses, cinemas, bingo halls etc)
- Nurseries, schools, colleges and universities will remain open
- Food shops, supermarkets, garden centres and other retailers providing essential goods can remain open and must follow COVID secure guidelines.
The specific detail and the guidance is available on the Government’s website