A lady from Halewood sets a great example to others by brushing up on her computer skills at the age of 95.
Beryl recently attended a digital drop in session held by FACE (Knowsley Family and Community Education Service) at Mackets Education Centre in Halewood to improve her computer skills.
Beryl has been a long-time volunteer at the Credit Union and now that the work she does requires using a computer, taking advantage of the services that FACE offers was ideal for her to be able to get up to speed with the new system and continue doing what she loves.
Knowsley Council encourages people to get online and so if you don’t have computer access at home, there are places across Knowsley where you can use equipment and access the internet for free:
- All of Knowsley Council’s One Stop Shops (Halewood, Huyton, Kirkby and Prescot)
- All of the council’s libraries in Halewood, Huyton, Kirkby, Prescot and Stockbridge Village
The council also offers a whole host of online support, including Digital Champions in each of the One Stop Shops who can get you setup and guide you through the online process and highlight where free WiFi hotspots are . There is also a range of digital skills training available across the borough which are suited for complete novices through to those who are familiar with computers but need a confidence boost.
You can receive help with any of these online activities at the drop-in sessions:
- Job searches
- Applying for jobs
- Creating an email account
- Completing Welfare Benefit, Universal Gateway and Housing application forms
Drop-in sessions are on each week as follows:
- Halewood Library, The Halewood Centre, Roseheath Drive, Halewood L26 9HU – Mondays 10am to 12.30pm
- Mackets Education Centre, Arncliffe Road, Halewood, L25 9PB – Wednesdays, 12.30pm to 3pm
- Huyton Library, Civic Way, Huyton, L36 9GD – Tuesdays, 10am to 12.30pm
- The Gate Community Centre, Princess Drive, Huyton, L14 9NQ, Thursdays, 12.30pm to 3pm
- St Johns Information Zone, Manor Farm Road, Huyton, L36 0UB, Thursdays, 1pm to 3.30pm
- Southdene Community Centre, Broad Lane, Kirkby, L32 6QG – Tuesdays, 1.30pm to 3.30pm
- Kirkby Library, The Kirkby Centre, Norwich Way, Kirkby, L32 8XY, Fridays, 10am to 12.30pm
FACE offers a range of qualification based and community learning courses that are taught across Knowsley, some of which are free while the others are affordable.
If you are not interested in improving digital skills, there are plenty more courses which allow you to develop skills that you may want to have Courses available include creative ones such as cake decorating, photography and floristry, and academic courses including Maths, English and Science. Ever thought about learning a new language, starting your journey working in schools or doing something in the health and public services? Courses in these areas are available as well.
Beryl shows that it’s never too late to learn something new or brush up on existing skills. With the wide range of courses, the affordability of the FACE courses as well as the financial support available, there’s nothing stopping you.