More than £30 million is set to be invested in Halewood in the coming years.
The investment will fund significant improvements to the retail offering and town centre amenity, new and improved sports and leisure facilities, enhancements to green spaces, increased primary school capacity and early years childcare, new and enhanced walking and cycling routes along with improvements to local roads and infrastructure.
The plans for the town will support the projected increase in population and importantly improve local facilities and general amenity for all current and future residents too.
Cllr Tony Brennan, Knowsley Council’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Economic Development said: “Only a few weeks ago we were welcoming the news that Halewood had attracted £15.3 million of the Government’s Levelling Up Fund.
“When you look at this in context though and consider the entire investment underway and planned in the town, it will actually exceed £30 million. That’s about £1,500 of investment per current Halewood resident. And that’s without considering the tens of millions of pounds spent by developers to build new homes in the area.
“The plans for Halewood are really exciting and I am delighted that Knowsley Council has been able to secure this level of investment at a time when inflation is soaring, and budgets are stretched.
It is set to be an exciting few years ahead for Halewood and I cannot wait to bring forward these improvements for the whole community to enjoy.”
Work is already underway in Halewood to deliver:
- New primary school places (Up to £4.6 million investment)
- Improvements to local roads and transport links (up to £4.4 million investment)
- Outdoor sports facilities (up to £1.1 million investment)
- More early years childcare provision (up to £1.1 million investment)
- Improvements to Finch Woods (up to £1 million investment)
- A subsidised bus service through the new housing development site (up to £652,500 investment)
- Improvements to local healthcare facilities (up to £104,000).
£2.5m has also been secured from the City Region Sustainable Travel Settlement for additional highways improvement works.
In addition, new and enhanced plans for the town also include:
- An expanded retail offer
- £6.7 million on town centre, open space and sports improvements
- £6 million on improvements to Halewood Leisure Centre (including decarbonisation)
- £2.6 million for improved walking and cycling links within and through the town.
Knowsley Council will be talking to residents again over the coming months as plans develop and detailed proposals are finalised.