Home Cost of living support Important information about how your benefit is paid
hands holding coins and notes

Important information about how your benefit is paid

by Guy Murphy

Remember, if you’re in receipt of benefits, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will be contacting you to tell you how to make a claim for Universal Credit.

This includes if you receive:-

  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers’ Allowance

Please look out for a letter called a Universal Credit Migration Notice from the DWP. The letter will explain what you need to do and by when.

You won’t be moved automatically, so it’s important to follow the instructions in the letter and complete your Universal Credit claim by the deadline outlined in the letter to avoid your benefits from stopping.

Universal Credit is a modern benefits system for people in work, looking for work or unable to work. It brings together six older benefits and helps make sure you’re getting the financial support you are entitled to in one place.

The DWP is moving everyone currently in receipt of Working Tax Credit and / or Child Tax Credit between 22 January 2024 and the end of March 2024.

Anyone in receipt of Income Support, Housing Benefit or Income Based Job Seeker’s Allowance will be asked to make a claim for Universal Credit between April 2024 and March 2025.

For those in receipt of Income Related Employment and Support Allowance or Income Related Employment and Support Allowance combined with Housing Benefit, migration to Universal Credit is planned between April 2025 and March 2028.

Help and support will be available if you need it. The Migration Notice will include the contact details of a dedicated helpline for claimants who may need help in submitting their claims. The letter will also include information about the support available through Jobcentre Plus (where trained Department for Work and Pensions staff will be available to help) and also to the Citizens’ Advice “Help to Claim” service.

Further information about Universal Credit is also available on the Council’s website.

If you need help to get online, call into any of the Borough’s five libraries (in Halewood, Huyton, Kirkby, Prescot, and Stockbridge Village) and speak to a “Digital Buddy”.  You can check the opening times for the Borough’s libraries by calling 0151 443 3734.

There are also a range of drop-in digital sessions taking place across the Borough through the Family and Community Education (FACE) service – call Michelle Daly on 0151 443 5389 to find out when and where they are taking place.