Following on from the success of last year, small grants to support short breaks for disabled people and their families are available again. This is part of Knowsley’s Short Breaks Programme and will support organisations working to improve the lives of disabled children and their families in Knowsley.
Grants are available for up to a maximum of £5,000 to help local projects get up and running, enhancing the Knowsley Short Breaks offer for children with disabilities and their families.
The initiative is part of the wider range of services available to parents and carers of children with disabilities and special needs (SEND) called the ‘Local Offer’.
In order to be eligible to apply for a Short Breaks small grant, the project must meet at least one of the following categories that have been developed for 2022/23 in consultation with parents/carers:
- Providing short break activities for children and young people with disability needs with a particular focus on: mixed activity fun days; cooking and outdoor adventures.
- Providing short break activities for young people aged 19-25 promoting independence skills and supporting transitions to adulthood.
- Delivering support to parents/carers of children and young people with a disability (e.g. parent support groups, workshops, etc)
- Supporting families with a child/ren with additional needs aged 0-4 (e.g. stay & play, outreach, network groups, etc)
- Whole family activities/events (e.g. involving parents and siblings in events, trips out, regular gatherings/groups, etc – however please see further information within Financial Eligibility section)