The Knowsley Council Plan 2022-2025 was approved at full Council this evening (9 March 2022).
Having been endorsed by the Cabinet on 23 February, full Council approval means that officers can begin work on implementing the vision and strategy outlined in the three-year plan.
The Knowsley Council Plan 2022-2025 has a clear vision of ‘Supporting Knowsley’s People and Communities to Thrive’ and is focused around three key priorities:
- Effective Support for those in Need – ensuring that all Knowsley residents are able to access the necessary support and services.
- Inclusive Growth and Skills – ensuring that all of Knowsley’s communities are able to share in the opportunities from local economic growth – including a focus on improving education and skills levels in the Borough.
- Achieving Net Zero by 2040 – ensuring that the Council plays a leading role in local action to address the Climate Emergency.
Developed during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Knowsley Council Plan takes into consideration the future opportunities and ambitions for local people, whilst dealing with the long-standing challenges facing Knowsley residents and communities as the borough moves into recovery from the pandemic and beyond.
These include the Council’s continued response to COVID-19 and prioritising the needs of the most vulnerable residents in the borough. They also include progressing with the ambitious plans to maintain and improve local town centres, neighbourhoods and green spaces – whilst accelerating the borough’s response to Climate Change.
To progress these priorities, a delivery plan for 2022/2023 has been developed which will also run alongside the Council’s ongoing support to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and includes: –
- Financial Exclusion Support – continued delivery of the Knowsley Better Together Hardship Fund (providing essentials such as food and fuel to our vulnerable residents)
- Improvements in Children’s Services – improving quality of practice in social care and improving support to care leavers and children and young people affected by domestic abuse
- Inclusive Growth – continued delivery of the borough’s housing and town centre developments, including the opening of The Shakespeare North Playhouse
- Liverpool City Region Borough of Culture – continued delivery of the programme for 2022, with an emphasis on achieving a longer-term legacy
- Climate Emergency and Achieving “Net Zero” – refreshing the action plans for the Council and the wider borough, undertaking an initial decarbonisation of Council buildings, and delivering flood mitigation and sustainable travel plans
- Stronger Communities – developing a Stronger Communities Partnership and delivery plan to build capacity in communities.
To ensure its successful delivery, the Knowsley Council Plan 2022-2025 is underpinned by the well-established Knowsley Better Together principles, which brings people and organisations together for the benefit of Knowsley.
Our Knowsley Better Together approach will be crucial over the next three years. In order to turn our Knowsley Council plan into reality, the Council will work with local residents, partner organisations and others to develop a Knowsley Offer for people who live, work and visit the Borough. This Knowsley Offer will set out a number of actions which the Council and others will commit to in order to support Knowsley’s people and communities to thrive.
Cllr Graham Morgan, Leader of Knowsley Council, said: “Following its endorsement by Cabinet, I am delighted that the three-year Knowsley Council Plan has been approved at Council and work can begin on its successful delivery.
“The Knowsley Council Plan will provide the vision and strategy for the continued growth of our borough and will support Knowsley’s people and communities to thrive.
“Partnership work will be key to the success of The Knowsley Council Plan and that is why it is underpinned by our Knowsley Better Together approach. We all have a role to play in the future of Knowsley and by working together I am sure we will achieve a lot.
“And while it is important to look to the future, it is also important that we take time to appreciate our previous achievements. Since the publication of the previous plan in 2017, we have driven economic growth across Knowsley and delivered ambitious plans that have transformed our borough.
“These achievements set the precedent and provide the springboard for the next three-years as we support Knowsley’s communities and residents to thrive.”
The Knowsley Council Plan 2022-2025 can be viewed here.