Home Coronavirus: News and Advice Coronavirus: What you need to know
Graphic says Coronavirus what you need to know

Coronavirus: What you need to know

by Gemma Melling

National measures are being taken to limit the spread of the Coronavirus Covid-19 virus and help as many people as possible to remain fit and well. In Knowsley, the council is working with a range of partners to support local people, continue to deliver frontline services, and deal with the impact on our local communities.

Freephone helpline number for Knowsley

The council has set up a Community Support and Volunteer Line. It is helping Knowsley residents who need additional support during the outbreak and coordinating offers of help for those who are wanting to volunteer their time or services to help those in need in their local community.

Anyone needing support can call freephone 0800 073 0043 from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Here is all the latest information you need to know (updated 7 October 2020):

Coronavirus (Covid-19): What you need to know

UPDATED 18.5.20

The symptoms include a cough, high temperature and in severe cases, shortness of breath and the loss of taste and/or smell.

The majority who become infected will have no or mild symptoms, which are described as ‘flu-like’.

If you, or any member of your household, have a high temperature and / or a new continuous cough you are all advised to stay at home and self-isolate for 14 days. The Chief Medical Officer issued updated guidance on 18 May 2020, to advise that anyone experiencing the loss of or a change in their normal sense of smell (a condition called anosmia) should also self-isolate. Anosmia can also affect your sense of taste as the two are closely linked.

If you do experience these newly identified symptoms, your household should self-isolate for 14 days as per the current guidelines and you should stay at home for 7 days, or longer if you still have symptoms other than a cough or loss of sense of smell.

For health information visit the NHS website.

For the latest information about the spread of cornavirus and the advice from Government visit Gov.uk.

The Government’s latest guidance around social distancing can be found here.

Are there steps I can take to help prevent the virus spreading?

  • Always carry a tissue to catch coughs and sneezes and then bin the tissue.
  • Regularly wash your hands (for at least 20 seconds) with soap and water or use a hand sanitiser to kill germs – particularly when you get home or into work, blow your nose, sneeze or cough, eat or handle food.
  • Work from home if it is possible.
  • The less time you spend with the people, the less chance there is of the infection spreading.

Residents in one of the increased risk groups received a letter during week commencing 23 March giving advice based on their specific circumstances, including details of the support that is available.

The Government has also issued guidance on what social distancing for older people and vulnerable adults means. This can be accessed on their website – www.gov.uk.

There are some things that you can do to make self-isolation easier. These include:

  • Plan ahead and think about what you will need in order to be able to stay at home.
  • Ask your friends, family or neighbours for their help to access the things you will need to make your stay at home a success.
  • Think about and plan how you can get access to food and other supplies such as medications that you will need during this period and use online services.
  • Ask family, friends and neighbours to drop off anything you need or order supplies online, but make sure these are left outside your home for you to collect.
  • Make sure that you keep in touch with family, friends and neighbours over the phone or through social media.
  • Think about things you can do during your time at home. People who have successfully completed a period of staying at home have kept themselves busy with activities such as cooking, reading, online learning and watching films.
If you have care provided for you through Knowsley Council or NHS, this will continue as normal. Your health or social care provider will be asked to take additional precautions to make sure that you are protected.

If you have a scheduled hospital or other medical appointment during this period, talk to your practice or clinic to ensure you continue to receive the care you need and consider whether appointments can be postponed.

If at any time you do feel unwell, please telephone your GP for advice – don’t visit the GP or your local pharmacist – speak to them over the phone. You can also visit NHS 111 online. If you feel you may need hospital care, call NHS 111 or in an emergency, dial 999.

If you need support during this time, Knowsley Council can help you.

We are working with voluntary, community and faith sector groups, other public sector organisations and businesses to offer support to residents who are self-isolating for an extended period. If you don’t have anyone to help you during this time, you are not alone.

You can access support by calling the council’s freephone helpline on 0800 073 0043.

The line is open Monday – Friday 9am–5pm and Saturday - Sunday 10am–2pm.

Leave an answerphone message outside these hours and we will return your call.

There will also be regularly updated information on the council’s website www.knowsley.gov.uk and here on Knowsley News.

Support with worry and anxiety

Staying at home can be a daunting and worrying time, but help and support is available to help you.

The NHS' Every Mind Matters website has published useful guidance around looking after your mental health particularly whilst staying at home. It provides useful tips on planning ahead, keeping in touch with others and dealing with anxiety.

Knowsley's 10 Ways to Wellbeing campaign has updated advice to help you during the Coronavirus outbreak.

There is further advice to help look after your mental health here on Knowsley News.
UPDATED 22.5.20

Staying Alert and Safe (social distancing) guidance is now live and can be found on the Government website.

The Government has also published FAQs with advice on what you can and cannot do now the changes have come into effect, which you can read on their website.
UPDATED 26.8.20

From Monday, 18 May, anyone in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland who is displaying Coronavirus symptoms is eligible to book a test to find out if they have the virus.

People can register for a test at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus after checking their symptoms. You will be allocated the next available appointment at your nearest test centre, which may be one of the regional test sites or one of the mobile test sites which may be closer to home or if you are unable to get to one of the drive-through test centres, you can request a home testing kit (subject to availability). Details are available at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.

The four UK Chief Medical Officers have also announced that anosmia – the loss or a change in your normal sense of smell or taste – has been added as a symptom of COVID-19.

This means that individuals need to self-isolate immediately – and will be eligible for a test – if they have a new continuous cough, or they have a high temperature, or they feel a loss or changed sense of normal smell or taste. All members of their household must also self-isolate according to current guidelines, unless the symptomatic individual receives a negative test result.
During this time, we're asking everyone to think about how they can help others in the community - especially vulnerable neighbours, friends and relatives.

Visit the Knowsley Better Together website for inspiration on how you can play your part.

The Government has also published advice on how to give help to others safely, whilst still protecting yourself.

A Community Support and Volunteer Line for those affected by the Coronavirus has been set up in Knowsley.

Anyone needing support can call freephone 0800 073 0043 from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm at weekends.

You can also fill in an online form to request help or make an offer to volunteer: It is designed to support residents needing additional support during the outbreak and for those wanting to volunteer their time or services to help those in need in their local community.

This helpline is available for:
  • residents that may need additional support during the outbreak, such as vulnerable residents accessing food supplies.
  • local businesses seeking advice or the latest Government information
  • local businesses urgently seeking additional staff recruitment and residents looking for work – you can also contact Knowsley Works
  • those wanting to volunteer their time and services to help those in need in their local community.
Read more details about the Community Support and Volunteer Line here.

Support Knowsley Foodbank

During the current Coronavirus outbreak, Knowsley Foodbank is experiencing an increase in demand for support and needs your help.

The Foodbank supports Knowsley residents in crisis by providing three days’ emergency food and support.

The council has teamed up with The Big Help Project’s Knowsley Foodbank to enable you to make donations of food or cash to support families suffering hardship as a result of the Coronavirus crisis. You can either donate money directly to The Big Help by visiting their fundraising page or visit one of their food drop off points across Knowsley. More details are here on Knowsley News.

We are also appealing for businesses who can support the Foodbank with donations of food and supplies. If your company is able to help, please get in touch.

The Foodbank also needs more volunteer support in its main distribution centre in Huyton and with the delivery of food to families across the borough. If you are able to help contact Knowsley Foodbank on 0151 482 6089 or 07731 789794.

Read more about the work of Knowsley Foodbank on the Knowsley Foodbank website or The Big Help Project website.
Support is available if Coronavirus has affected your income. Council Tax It’s important not to get into debt and build up arrears of Council Tax. If you are having difficulties affording payments there is a range of support available to you. Help if you are worried about lost income The Government’s Job Retention Scheme (known as ‘Furlough’) is replaced by the ‘Job Support Scheme’ in November 2020. Under this new scheme, the Government will pay two-thirds of salaries. The scheme includes support for people who work for business that need to close as part of local restrictions. Further information can be found on Martin Lewis’ ‘Money Saving Expert’ site - www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/04/employed-help-coronavirus-furlough/. Payment freezes for mortgages Mortgage lenders agreed to help those struggling with mortgages in the form of a ‘payment holiday’. Many are allowing borrowers to take a three-month payment holiday on their mortgage, subject to certain conditions. You should contact your mortgage lender to apply. If you have already had a mortgage holiday you can reapply if you are still struggling to pay. The deadline for applications is 31st October 2020. You will be charged interest over this period – it will be added to the total you owe on your mortgage. From November 2020, lenders will offer ‘tailored support ’to their customers. For further information visit www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/uk-coronavirus-help-and-your-rights/#mortgage Payment freezes for credit cards and loans People affected financially by the Coronavirus outbreak can also request payment breaks of up to three months on their credit payments. The deadline for applications is 31st October 2020. These measures allow people to apply to freeze payment on the following: • Loans • Credit cards • Catalogue credit • Storecards • Home collected credit (for example, Provident loans, sometimes known as ‘doorstep lenders’) • some Credit Union loans. The break operates in the same way as a mortgage payment holiday; customers will need to agree the break with their lender and repay the interest built during the break. However, if the lender thinks the break could cause more financial problems for you (for example through the extra interest charged overall) it may refuse. Visit www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/uk-coronavirus-help-and-your-rights/#mortgage for more information and a list of the support currently available through lenders. To apply, residents should contact their lender directly. Claiming Benefits Universal Credit is a benefit from the Department for Work and Pensions for working age adults on a low income or who are out of work. The quickest way to make a new claim for Universal Credit is online. People making new claims for Universal Credit will no longer need to call the Department as part of the process. The Universal Credit team will call you if they need to check any of the information provided as part of the claim. They will also send you a message on your online journal to confirm the details. You can contact the Department for Work and Pensions Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644 for help with your claim. This line is busy and you may need to wait. Citizens Advice run ‘Help to Claim’, a service helping people make new claims for Universal Credit. They offer support with the online application and can work with you until your first full payment is received. Visit them at https://citizensadviceknowsley.org.uk/help-to-claim-universal-credit/ or call 0800 144 8 444. The Department for Work and Pensions have changed some of the requirements usually in place when you make a claim for benefits, for example visits to the Jobcentre. There is also information on support available if you are already claiming benefits, need to claim or are at risk of losing their job as a result of Coronavirus. Keep up to date by visiting their website. Links for further information: How can I find out if I am eligible for Universal Credit? How will the Coronavirus outbreak affect my claim for benefits? Where can I get help to apply? Local services • Skills to get online If you need help making a claim for Universal Credit or Employment Support Allowance, Knowsley FACE (Knowsley Council’s Adult Education team) have set up remote Digital Support Sessions to help. Contact Michelle Daly on michelle.daly@knowsley.gov.uk or 0151 443 5389 / 07810 053971. • Telephone advice for benefits and debt help You can contact the Citizens Advice Knowsley ‘adviceline’ for telephone advice on 0300 330 9008. Webchat and further information is available on their website or you can email them advice@citizensadviceknowsley.org.uk. Their telephone lines can be busy and they recommend you email rather than call if you can. Prescot and Whiston Community Advice Centre can able to offer advice on benefits over the telephone. Call 0151 443 4639. Centre 63 offers housing advice and tenancy support for 16-25 year-olds, and money and debt advice for 18 - 30 year-olds. Call 0151 549 1494 or www.centre63.org.uk • Food Centre 63 run a Social Supermarket each Wednesday from 10am – 2pm from their centre in Kirkby. You can buy a healthy weekly shop for less than £10 and you can chose from fresh, chilled or ambient foods. Contact the Centre on 0151 549 1494, or call or email Ann Brown 07971 309838 or Ann.Brown@centre63.co.uk for details. Big Help Food Clubs run in Kirkby, Huyton, Bootle and Dovecot. Members pay £3.50 a week (less if you pay by standing order) and can chose 10 items a week valued between £10 and £15. Contact foodclub@bighelpproject.com or call 0151 482 6089. If you can’t afford to buy food you could get help through Knowsley Council’s Emergency Support Scheme. Contact the Knowsley Food Support team on 0151 538 8243. National help • Benefits and grants All advice is confidential and free from the organisations listed: Turn2us Free confidential information and advice on benefits, grants and managing your money, with an online benefits calculator to work out what you could claim. Visit their website or, if you don’t have access to the internet call 0808 802 2000. Money and Pension Service Free, clear and unbiased advice to help you manage your money. Visit their website or call 0800 138 7777 to speak with a trained advisor. You can get advice by phone, whatsapp (add 07701 342 744 and message them with debt, credit or pension queries) or webchat. Use their online ’money navigator’ to get help tailored for you and your circumstances including what help is available if you’re finances are affected by Coronavirus. Stepchange Free advice and guidance to manage debt. Call 0800 138 1111 or visit their website. National Debtline Free, confidential and independent advice on dealing with debt problems. Visit their website or call 0808 808 4000 for more information. You may also find this guide from the Money Saving Expert helpful to understand what help you may be entitled to. Benefit assessments Although face-to-face benefit assessments are not possible right now, you can still contact the Council by phone to speak about your benefit assessment. Please call 0151 489 6000. Applications should still be made in the usual way through the Council’s website. If you are unable to do this online, then call 0151 489 6000 and a customer services advisor will help you fill in the form.

All household waste collections in Knowsley are operating as normal.

Waste from households displaying Coronavirus symptoms

Current guidance from Public Health England advises that any personal waste (such as used tissues and cleaning cloths) from households where someone is showing symptoms of the Coronavirus should be stored securely in disposable rubbish bags. These should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept from other waste for 72 hours before being put in your bin for collection.

All other household waste can be disposed of as normal.

Waste and recycling centres (the tip)

Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority (MRWA) reopened all Household Waste Recycling Centres on Monday 4 May 2020.

Strict social distancing requirements and other restrictions are in place. So please check the MRWA website before setting out.

Bulky waste collections

The council’s Bulky Waste Collections Service has resumed.

To ensure everyone’s safety during the Coronavirus outbreak, residents will be asked to accept new terms and conditions when booking a collection.

To find out more or book a collection visit the council's website.

Ordering new bins

Due to the prioritisation of essential waste collection services during the Covid pandemic, replacement bins are taking longer to deliver than usual. The current waiting time for a replacement bin is approximately 20 working days.
Schools in Knowsley will reopen to all pupils in September. Knowsley Council has prepared a 'Remember for September' guide for parents and children, to prepare them for the changes that will be in place in school, and how they can ensure they are ready for the new term. You can read more about the guide here. We also appreciate that young people may be anxious about the return to school, and that the lockdown may have impacted on their mental health. Tips and sources of support can be found here.

If you have suffered the loss of a loved one at this time, help and support is available.

An NHS Bereavement Helpline has been set up to offer guidance, support and advice to those dealing with the loss of a loved one at this difficult time.

In addition, Knowsley’s Educational Psychology Service has published a guide to help support children and young people who are affected by bereavement. Read more about this on Knowsley News.

A book of remembrance has been launched for all those who have died as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Remember Me is an online memorial hosted by St Paul’s Cathedral for the use of anyone in the UK who wants to remember a loved one - it is for all faiths, beliefs or none. Read more.
Nurseries are now permitted to be open to all children. Please contact your local setting to find out more details of their individual arrangements.

Looking for childcare?

If you require childcare for a child under 4, Knowsley's Childcare Information Service (CIS) has all the most up-to-date local information on all the different childcare options across the borough. You can call them on 0800 085 2022 or 0151 443 5635 or email Childcare.information@knowsley.gov.uk.

There are also some childminders in the borough that are offering places. These can be accessed by contacting Knowsley’s Childcare Information Service on 0151 443 5635.

Children and Families – Early Help Support

It's natural that some families will be finding this situation stressful and finding it harder to cope during these difficult times. We don’t want people to struggle and the council has a team of staff who can talk you through any issues and offer you some advice and guidance.

Contact the freephone helpline on 0800 073 0043 and ask for your information to be passed onto the Early Help Hub and a member of staff will call you back.

Alternatively, you could complete the online form.

Our Family First staff will continue to support children and families through telephone support and can provide a wide range of information, advice and access to many types of resources to help you through this difficult time.

View the latest Government guidance for businesses

The Government has published a new ‘one-stop shop’ page for advice to businesses on a range of issues related to Coronavirus.

Guidance for reopening post-lockdown can be found here: https://bit.ly/UpdatedRetailGuidance.

Business operating in contravention of the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Business Closures) Regulations 2020 will be committing an offence. Knowsley Council’s Environmental Health and Trading Standards officers will monitor compliance with these regulations, and businesses and premises that breach them will be subject to prohibition notices and fines.

Support from Knowsley Council

Knowsley Council is here to ensure that businesses and individuals receive the correct advice, guidance and support. Knowsley Council’s Business Team works in partnership with Knowsley Chamber to help businesses understand the latest information available from Government, agencies and partners in relation to COVID-19.

If you need any general business advice please contact Invest Knowsley on 0151 477 4000 or email business@knowsley.gov.uk

A set of FAQs for Knowsley businesses has been developed and can be downloaded here.

Follow the latest Government advice on the Gov.uk website.

You can also view advice on the Knowsley Chamber website. You'll also find an online business to business noticeboard, where local companies can offer their support or seek help.

Coronavirus Statutory Sick Pay Rebate Scheme

The Coronavirus Statutory Sick Pay Rebate Scheme allows small and medium sized employers, with fewer than 250 members of staff, to claim back the costs of paying coronavirus-related Statutory Sick Pay for two weeks - worth nearly £200 per employee. To get the rebate, employers will need to go online and input simple information about the employees being claimed for.
To protect all our customers and staff, we’ve taken the decision to close the Council’s One Stop Shops temporarily in order to comply with social distancing requirements. However we are still available to help you – online and over the phone. Many of our services can be accessed online without the need to wait in a queue.

Please try this option first by visiting our online services page.

If you are unable to access the service you need online and you do need to speak to somebody, the contact numbers you need are below. Lines are open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9am to 5pm, and Wednesdays from 9am to 4pm.
Service Contact number
Building control and dangerous buildings 0151 443 2380
Car parking, street lighting, traffic management and highways enquiries 0151 443 3100
Council Tax and 24-hour payment line 0151 443 4476
Education 0151 443 3232
Elections 0151 443 2222
Environmental services (includes bin collections, street cleaning, pest control, bulky item collections, clinical waste collections) 0151 443 2400
Financial Inclusion helpline 0151 443 3300
Home to School Transport 0151 443 2500
Housing advice and homelessness 0800 694 0280
Housing benefits 0151 443 4042
Knowsley emergency support scheme 0800 408 2014 or 0151 443 3200
Leisure 0151 443 2200
Licensing and dog wardens 0151 443 2300
Parking permit enquiries (APCOA) 0345 319 0430
Planning enquiries 0151 443 2381
Registrars 0151 443 2900
Social Services 0151 443 2600
If you can’t find a number for the service you require, please call General Enquiries on 0151 489 6000  

24 hour emergency contacts: 

Service Contact number
Highways (includes footways and street lighting) 0151 443 3100
Homelessness 0800 694 0280
Knowsley Housing Trust repairs 0800 561 0007
Social services 0151 443 2600

For emergencies between 5pm and 9am, you can call 0151 489 6000.

All library branches in Knowsley are currently closed until further notice. However, bookable slots are available to use the library PCs - please see the information further down this page. If you have items out on loan from the library there will be no overdue charges for those items.

Select and Collect service

Huyton, Kirkby, Halewood & Prescot libraries are now offering a‘Select and Collect’ service. The Home Delivery Service is also up and running again.

You can still borrow books and e-books online

The library website and online catalogue are available to access online. You can use this site to borrow eBooks and eAudioBooks as normal.

If you are not already registered for this service, you can create an account by emailing your details to yourlibrary@knowsley.gov.uk.

Booking computer facilities & printing services

You can now book a session on Huyton Library’s PCs. These will be time limited slots, bookable up to seven days in advance. To book a time slot for a PC at Huyton Library call 0151 443 3734. If you aren’t currently a member you can join over the phone. You will be able to book a session to use the PCs at Halewood, Kirkby and Prescot libraries from Monday 3 August. To keep yourself, other customers and staff safe you will be expected to clean the PC before and after your session with the cleaning materials provided. You will also be required to wear a face covering when entering the library and while using the PCs. If you need to print anything off, the first three prints will be free of charge. Any additional prints will be charged at 10p each, and the correct change will be required for payment. Don’t worry if you are not already a member as the library staff can set you up with an account over the phone so you are good to go before your session.

Keep in touch with the library service

You can also contact the library service with general enquiries via email or through their social media pages on Facebook and Twitter (just search for Knowsley Library Service.)
UPDATED 07.10.20

Please remember to wear a face covering when visiting the register office.

Registering a birth

You can now make an appointment to register your baby.

Registering a death

We are registering deaths by telephone until further notice. Please contact us on 0151 443 2900 to make an appointment.

Many thanks for your understanding during this difficult time.

Marriage and civil partnership ceremonies

We are now offering small ceremonies, however, availability is limited. Please contact us by emailing registrars@knowsley.gov.uk for further information.

We kindly ask you not email multiple requests for call backs - we are contacting everyone, but we have a huge number of queries to get through. We are working as fast as we possibly can given the circumstances.

If you have to rearrange your ceremony due to the current pandemic situation, all fees that you have already paid to Knowsley Registration Service will be transferred to your new booking without penalty. Alternatively, you can have a refund if you have already paid in full.

Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

You can now make an appointment to give Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership.

Appointments will be managed in priority order. If you have a ceremony booked on or before 31 March 2021, please contact us on 0151 443 2900 and select option 3.

An update will be provided on availability for appointments for ceremonies booked for April 2021 onwards as soon as possible.

If your ceremony has been postponed due to the COVID outbreak and fresh notice of marriage or civil partnership are required, the fees will be waived for Knowsley residents. Please contact one of the team who will be happy to help.

Please remember to wear a face covering when visiting the register office.

Ordering copies of certificates

Copy certificates for births, deaths and marriages that occurred in Knowsley, can be ordered online. You are politely asked not to visit Knowsley Register Office in person to make an application for your copy certificate.
Kirkby Gallery and Prescot Museum are currently closed until further notice.

Online content is available on www.prescotmuseum.org.uk and www.facebook.com/knowsleygalleriesandmuseum
Leisure Centres run by Volair have reopened with new measures in place. There may be changes to classes or timetables, so please check with the centre for details.

All parks, playgrounds, fishing ponds and golf courses are now open to the public.

Social distancing must be observed.


Due to the current COVID-19 situation the council is extending all 2019/20 Tenancy Agreements until the conditions allow for the normal annual Tenancy Agreement process to be implemented. We are not accepting any new tenancy applications at present. If you wish to cancel your agreement please contact Knowsley Council on 0151 443 3682.

Existing tenants can contact their Allotment Association for further information regarding COVID-19 precautions or visit the National Allotment Associations’ website.

We have published a series of articles here on Knowsley News which offer advice for anyone experiencing domestic abuse.

This includes safety advice with lots of contact information for people who can help you.

Merseyside Police has also published advice for domestic abuse victims on using the ‘999 silent solution’ telephone system in an emergency.

You’ll find all the content relating to domestic abuse on Knowsley News by using the search function at the top right of your screen and searching for ‘domestic abuse’.
Knowsley Foodbank is working hard to keep people in need fed.

Please note the process for using a foodbank remains the same and residents should be referred by local organisations with a voucher. Only when a centre closes should a resident call a centre directly.

Please do not visit the Foodbank in person if you have any symptoms or are self-isolating - ask someone else to pick up your food

Make sure you check Knowsley Foodbank's Facebook page for the latest updates.

Unfortunately the Foodbank at Page Moss Baptist church has had to close but Knowsley Foodbank is now running an extra session on a Friday 11am-2pm at St Andrew’s Church, 3 St Andrews View, Kirkby L33 1ZF.
Knowsley Works advisors continue to provide employability and job search advice and information by telephone and email.

This service operates Mondays to Friday, 9am – 5pm.

Call the centre nearest to where you live on:

Huyton centre - 0151 443 5010

Halewood centre - 0151 443 2040

Kirkby centre on - 0151 443 4933.

Health visiting service for babies and children under 5

Although Coronavirus has interrupted the delivery of baby clubs, Knowsley's Health Visitors are still working. If you have any worries about growth, feeding, or developmental niggles for your little one then you can still contact a Health Visitor using your regular contact number or, visit their website where you will find the phone number for your local area team.

School nurses

If you have a school-aged child and wish to contact the School Nurses, you will find their phone and email contacts on their website.


Pharmacies in Knowsley may be operating different opening hours to usual - please check before setting off. Please check with your local pharmacist for their exact opening times, but don’t forget that many simple home remedies such as anti-histamines and painkillers are sold in shops and supermarkets too.

Walk in centres

Halewood, Huyton and Kirkby walk-in centres are currently operating from 10am to 6pm, seven days a week and can be accessed via a telephone triage and appointment system. If you need to access the walk-in centre service, call your local walk-in centre below:

Halewood – Tel: 0151 244 3533

Huyton – Tel: 0151 244 3150

St Chads (Kirkby) – Tel: 0151 244 3065

All calls will be triaged and given an appointment to be seen if needed.

The walk-in centres are delivered by North West Boroughs Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, providing consultations, advice and treatment for minor injuries and illnesses.

Visit their website for more details and updates.

Knowsley Sexual Health Service

St Chad’s Clinic, Halewood Clinic and North Huyton Clinic are all currently closed, however, The Arch (Huyton) remains open. If you require contraception, call 0151 244 3580.

Other interruptions to service include:

The Postural Stability classes delivered by NWBH have been cancelled owing to venue closures. They will be reinstated once things have returned to normal and participants will be notified.

The Healthy Knowsley Service are still taking referrals into the Healthy Lifestyle Hub and onto the Health Trainer Pathway. Clients who are 70 and over, or with an increased risk as outlined in the Government guidance are being offered a telephone review as an alternative. MECC Training Sessions are currently postponed.

The Children and Families Pathway delivered in schools and community are currently on hold due to recommendations on social distancing.

Weight Management groups delivered by Slimming World are on hold until further notice. Clients requesting Slimming World vouchers are being offered intermediate weight management advice from a Wellbeing Coach at the Healthy Lifestyle Hub and will be able to access Slimming World sessions later in the year with their vouchers.

For all residents wishing to continue to be physically active the Healthy Knowsley Hub can offer further help, advice and information by visiting their website www.healthyknowsley.co.uk.

Hospital and Community Services

During the current situation, some hospital and community services may be affected. If you need to see a GP, call your practice on the usual practice number. Do not attend the practice building. Below is a list of provider organisations and the link to their service change website.

As of 16 July 2020, our pest control service are only offering appointments for rats, mice and wasps. Any appointments made for other pests before this date will still be carried out. Read more online at the council's website.
UPDATED 22.5.20

Although the offices of Knowsley Carers Centre are closed, staff are still available to signpost carers to appropriate services and provide advocacy, information and support. Their mental health carer support workers are continuing to provide emotional support and advice over the phone and the centre is still providing carers ID cards.

These cards have helped when carers needed to prove their trip was essential and are helping them access supermarkets during the key worker only opening times.

The Carers Centre is able to put carers who may feel isolated in touch with a befriending service and although they're unable to help with completing forms at the moment, their benefits worker is still providing advice and calculating benefits received.

You can contact Knowsley Carers Centre on 0151 549 1412. Please leave your name and a clear contact number on the answer service.

You can also email: enquiries@knowsleycarers.co.uk or visit the Knowsley Carers Centre website.
UPDATED 26.8.20

The Young Carers Service is still accepting referrals, completing Young Carers Assessments, providing advice and support over the phone.

The 'Me Time' programme provided by Knowsley Youth Mutual (KYM) has been postponed but they are still providing activities for Young Carers to do at home.

If you’d like further information or know a child/young person who is caring for someone and would like or needs support please contact the Young Carers Service: Chris Wong - 07717301325 or Mike Kehoe on 07760991108.
The council’s MOT testing station at Stretton Way, Huyton, resumed MOT testing services for the public from 29 June, with all necessary COVID-19 secure measures in place.

When making a booking customers will be asked to confirm if they have had Covid 19 or if they are suffering from any symptoms or self-isolating at the time of the booking and when dropping off their vehicle.

For further information visit the council's website.
It’s important not to get into debt and build up arrears of Council Tax. If you are having difficulties affording payments there is a range of support available to you.