The council is supporting the national campaign – Be More Us – aiming to bring people and communities together and address the important issue of loneliness.
Be More Us encourages people to connect – it’s about being open to new experiences and promoting a sense of belonging.
There’s lots of ways that you can get involved and Be More Us:
- Take the time to get to know your neighbours. Is there a community group that meets regularly?
- Phone a friend or family member – take 10 minutes out each week to make that call.
- Take the phone challenge! Spend a whole day without checking your phone and take time to make connections in real life. Phones can be a great way to stay in touch with people, but those connections we make in real life are the ones that really matter.
- Try something new – ever wanted to learn how to speak Spanish, ride a scooter or scuba dive? Take the plunge. One of the best ways to bond with new people is to learn something new. It’s a great way to make new friends!
- Volunteering is a great way to make a difference in your community. You can also develop your skills, improve your health and wellbeing and make friendships that could last a lifetime.
There’s lot of useful information about community groups and volunteering activities available in Knowsley on the Live Well Directory. Visit the Live Well Directory for more information.
Cllr Sean Donnelly, Cabinet Member for Health and Social Care, said
“We can all to something to tackle loneliness. Small things really do make a big difference to people, such as simply saying hello to someone in your local shop or checking on your neighbor to see if they need any shopping or their bin taking in. Through the Be More Us campaign, it’s about finding out things that connect people, it’s about friendships and it’s about us all playing our part.”
The Be More Us campaign has been developed by The Campaign to End Loneliness – the first and only organisation in the UK dedicated to ending loneliness.
Find out how you can get involved by visiting the Be More Us website.