Home Cost of living support Are you over State Pension age, or know someone who is?
Graphic with wording: if your eligible for pension credit you could get support with housing costs, council tax or heating bills

Are you over State Pension age, or know someone who is?

by Laura Johnston

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income.

Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges. You may also be able to get help with heating costs, help with rent and Council tax, a free TV licence for those aged over 75 years and help with the cost of NHS services, such as NHS dental treatment, glasses and transport costs to hospital appointments.

You might get extra help if you’re a carer, severely disabled, or responsible for a child or young person.

Pension Credit is separate from your State Pension and you can get Pension Credit even if you have other income, savings or own your own home.

Someone may still get Pension Credit if they:

  • have not paid National Insurance contributions
  • have some savings or a small pension
  • live with their grown-up family
  • own their own home

Use the Pension Credit calculator to find out how much Pension Credit someone could get – without giving any personal details.

Check your eligibility at www.gov.uk/pension-credit  or by calling 0800 99 1234