Home Children and Young People Anxieties about returning to school? Help is at hand

Anxieties about returning to school? Help is at hand

by Jonathan Kearney

Guidance has been produced for parents and carers anxious about sending their child to school during the coronavirus pandemic.

Knowsley Council, in partnership with North West Boroughs Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, has produced the guidance to provide reassurance that schools in the borough are managing the threat of COVID-19.

For people who have been shielding due to coronavirus and have particular concerns about sending their child to school at this time, the guide includes recommended medical professionals that are able to provide further reassurance.

The guidance also provides excellent resources for children who may be anxious about attending school at this time.

This includes the Young Minds website, which features tips about managing the transition back to school.

For younger children, resources such as the Nurse Dotty books provide information about coronavirus while alleviating children’s fears.

Cllr Margaret Harvey, Knowsley Council Cabinet Member for Children’s Services, said: “If they are well enough to attend, school is the best place for children to be. They are learning, they are with their friends and they are in a routine. All of our schools have undertaken robust risk assessments to ensure they are providing safe learning environments. There are procedures in place to ensure schools continue to be safe, hygienic places for children to learn. As long as children follow simple advice such as regular hand washing, sneezing into their elbow if they don’t have a tissue and following the safety guidance set out by their school then they can continue in their routine in a safe environment.”

If your child has symptoms of coronavirus, including a continuous cough, a fever (high temperature) or a complete loss or change of smell or taste, they should stay off school and self-isolate at home. You should also arrange a coronavirus test for them on the NHS website or by calling 119.